Saturday, February 9, 2008

DeRustifed Destiny

Friday the 8th of Febuary, the day which preceeded today, marked long awaited progress in the build. The daily phone call from my son became atypical when he informed me a package had arrived. BOING! The remainder of the workday passed quickly and soon the aquisition was in my hands.
I have been searching for a crankshaft pinion tool. I was willing to settle for someone who owned the right one. Persistance pays off as I won the bid on ebay. For less than fifty bucks I scored the right tool for the job. Going prices I have seen during the wait ranged from 60-100 and the local availibility was none.
Once home last night I came in the house and greeted the family. There on out I was all over the package like a hungry dog. I have a rhetorical question: What is it with ebay sellers who ship their products filthy as hell? I have been satisfied with the all items I aquired because they filled the need. A few of my purchases have shown up dirty as hell, the most recent included. Only fitting that an old iron tool from foggy old England should arrive coated in rust. Safe to venture into the thought this puller sat untouched in a musty wooden toolbox for years. I spent five miniutes and a dozen paper towels cleaning it before adjourning to the garage. Rag in hand and 6-in-1 spray on the threads, I spun the driver end to end and wiped the newly released grime from it. I was gross, no two ways about it. Damp rust which caked off like nasty brown mud. Befitting to the way I found the engine, hideous chud.
Clean and Lubed the black iron puller began to warm in my hands. Molecules awakened as their purpose realized once again. I locked the connecting rods and installed the puller on the crankshaft pinion. Experience has taught me not to bull rush into press fit pieces; I loaded and unloaded the puller a few times before getting the drive that pulled the gear from the end of the crankshaft. Success was mine. I set the tools down and went in the house to be with my family.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Glad you found the tool!